adidas banner
Soccer Camps 2013

Bookmark and Share
Two Goals in One Minute Result in Deadlock


Saturday, June 8, 2013            Richmond City Stadium
Richmond Kickers                      1 (Davies 78’)
Wilmington Hammerheads       1 (Perry 79’)  

RICHMOND, VA – The Richmond Kickers kept their unbeaten streak alive, battling the Wilmington Hammerheads to a 1-1 draw Saturday night on a pair of second half goals in rapid fire succession.  Scoreless through the first half, the Kickers broke the ice on a Philippe Davies strike in the 78th minute before conceding a Steven Perry goal thirty seconds later.

In a defensive battle riddled with set pieces, the Kickers nearly capitalized on a free kick in the 12th minute.  Dangerously positioned near the top of the 18, midfielder Nate Robinson drilled a determined strike on target, forcing Hammerheads goalkeeper Troy Hernandez to leap to tip it over the bar.

The Hammerheads retaliated ten minutes later when they stripped the ball deep on the right wing and played it back to midfielder Will Heaney who rifled a distance shot that was deflected just wide of the left post.

Later, Kickers midfielder Stanley Nyazamba carried the ball deep into Hammerheads territory before serving a cross into the box from the right edge.  The ball deflected to Michael Seaton at the far post but his header skimmed just over the crossbar.

With 10 minutes remaining in the half, Kickers goalkeeper Andrew Dykstra distributed the ball to Seaton at the 20 yard line who latched onto it, beat his defender to midfield and was off to the races on a breakaway.  Hammerheads defenders caught up to the speedy forward at the top of the box and under pressure, Seaton misfired a back heel pass.  Recovering the loose ball, he ended up sandwiched between defenders and was taken down inches from the penalty area.  Nyazamba lined up the resulting free kick but his low shot was stifled through traffic and smothered by Hernandez.

The stop-and-go-play continued after the restart as free kicks and corners consumed much of the early going.  After Heaney put Dykstra’s acrobatics to the test with a low driven shot to the far post in the 53rd minute, Kickers midfielder Juan Arbelaez carried the ball down the right wing and fired a rising shot that soared just over the woodwork.

The Kickers skied another golden opportunity in the 70th minute when midfielder Joseph Ngwenya collected the ball at the right edge of the box and played a square pass to Joseph Haboush but the rookie midfielder’s one-time volley glanced just over the crossbar.

Entering the match just four minutes earlier, Davies broke the deadlock in the 78th minute.  Receiving the ball from Michael Callahan on the right wing, he unleashed a 25-yard laser to the upper 90 to give the home side a short-lived lead.

The celebrations were fleeting as Wilmington immediately leveled the score on the restart when Daniel Roberts charged down the field and fed a through ball to Perry who turned his mark and buried the equalizer from point blank range. 

The match opened up with 10 minutes remaining as both teams searched for the game-winner.  Weathering a flurry of activity, Dykstra made one last save in stoppage time when Perry broke through and collided with him but the stalwart goalkeeper held his ground to preserve the draw.

The Richmond Kickers return to City Stadium next Friday, June 14 to host Antigua Barracuda FC at 7:00 p.m. and the third annual Avery Spence Youth Community Service Award will be presented to a youth soccer player during halftime.  The Avery Spence Youth Community Service Award was established to honor Kickers youth player, Avery Spence, who was tragically killed in an automobile accident on May 1, 2011.  In honor of Avery’s #7 jersey, admission to the Kickers pro game will be $7.00 per person, in advance at
Box Score           First Half          Second Half      Final
Richmond                   0                         1                   1
Wilmington                0                         1                   1

Scoring Summary
78th minute: Richmond: Philippe Davies (Michael Callahan)
79th minute: Wilmington: Steven Perry (Daniel Roberts)

Kickers: GK Andrew Dykstra, William Yomby, Luke Vercollone, Shane Johnson, Juan Arbelaez (Sascha Görres – 83’), Mike Callahan (David Bulow – 86’), Joseph Ngwenya (Philippe Davies – 74’), Stanley Nyazamba (Joseph Haboush – 60’), Nate Robinson, Jason Yeisley, Michael Seaton (Matthew Delicate – 60’)

Hammerheads: GK Troy Hernandez, Shawn Nicklaw, Gareth Evans, Mikey Daley, Shaun Utterson (Christian Davison – 73’), Will Heaney (Mark Briggs – 67’), Daniel Roberts, Paul Nicholson, Aaron Patrick (Bryce Taylor – 59’), Cory Elenio (Uriah Bentick – 83’), Kyle Greig (Steven Perry – 71’)

Shots                            Saves                          Fouls                           Corners
Hammerheads:   4        Hammerheads:    3      Hammerheads:   8       Hammerheads:    5
Kickers:              11       Kickers:               1       Kickers:              9       Kickers:                2



Referee:  Jeff Davis
Assistant Referees: Matthew Nelson, James Conlee
Fourth Official: Chris Scheve
Attendance:  2,467
Weather:  Sunny, 84º

© 2013 Richmond Kickers, 2001 Maywill Street, Suite 203, Richmond, VA 23230
Phone: 804 644-5425   Fax: 804-591-2680

HCA 2013
nTelos Ultimate Fan Experience
Union First Market Bank 2013
Martins 2013
Northwestern Mutual 2013
Papa Johns 2013
Eurosport 13

About Us  |   Sponsors  |   Contact Us  |   Internships  |   Site Map

© Copyright 2013 Demosphere International, Inc. All rights reserved.