E-mail Friend   |    Print Version

Travel To Western Mass For Open Cup Second Round


Tuesday, June 10, 2008  Sports Backers Stadium
Richmond Kickers              3 (Paschalis 11’, Nyazamba 20’, Bulow 24’)
Fredericksburg Gunners   0

RICHMOND, VA – The Richmond Kickers advanced to the Second Round of the 2008 US Open Cup after blanking the Fredericksburg Gunners of the Premier Development League, 3-0, in front of a steamy, Tuesday night crowd of 592.   The Kickers put all three goals in the net before the 25th minute mark with Kickers midfielder Eliot Paschalis registering first in the 11th minute.  Stanley Nyazamba followed closely with a 20th minute tallied, followed by a penalty kick converted by David Bulow four minutes later.  The Kickers travel to face the Western Mass Pioneers on Tuesday, June 24th in the Second Round on the road.  The Pioneers downed the Boston Olympiakos (USASA) tonight, 2-0.   

The Kickers opened tonight’s First Round match-up with several early chances, forcing the Gunners defense to work in the heat.  Richmond’s first chance came in the 3rd minute when defender Anthony Catalano pushed forward and slid the ball through the back line.  Bulow was well-positioned to take on Gunners goalkeeper Ken Manahan but barely missed his chance as Manahan smothered the ball for the save.  Manahan again came up strong again three minutes later when Nyazamba came streaking down the left flank and crossed the ball into the box.  Bulow was again the target at the six yard line but could not get past the diving ‘keeper.

The Gunners could not rely on Manahan in the 11th minute when newcomer Ian Bennett sprinted down the right wing and fed the ball towards Bulow, positioned at the goal line.  A Gunners defender misplayed the ball, which fell directly to Bulow who played it to Paschalis 10 yards out.  Paschalis composed his shot and aimed the low ball into the back of the net.

Nine minutes later, the Kickers doubled the score when midfielder Sascha Görres lined up a free kick from 30 yards.  He bent the ball into the box but a poor clearance fell to Nyazamba with plenty of time at the 12 yard line.  The big midfielder struck a rocket into the upper right hand corner of the target. 

The 24th minute saw a foul called inside the box, in favor of the home side, when Nyazamba was taken down by Gunners defender Jay Bownes just inside the 18.  Bownes earned the only yellow card of the night while the Kickers lined up the resulting penalty kick.  Bulow stepped up to the spot and with a stutter-step, buried the ball into the lower right hand corner.   

Fredericksburg looked dangerous in the 31st minute when a Gunners corner found midfielder Justin Leskow in scoring position but his attempt was denied.  Three minutes later, Gunners leading scorer Ryan Johnson struck from 16 yards but his shot sailed wide.

Before the close of the first half, Manahan was again called upon, this time when midfielder Luke Vercollone fed the ball through to Bulow.  His shot from the right side of the box forced Manahan to make a heroic save.  Seconds later, during first half stoppage, Görres sent an inswinger into the box from a corner with the ball dropping to Nyazamba.  He collected the ball at the top of the box and attempted to add another goal before the break but Manahan’s save held the Kickers at three.

The second half restart saw Fredericksburg’s offense gaining strength when Berin Boracic attempted a free kick from 20 yards, minutes after entering the match at halftime.  His strike rebounded off the defensive wall but feel to midfielder Matt Lacey who lobbed the ball over the defense and just wide of the post.

Five minutes later, Boracic carried the ball down the wing, deep on the left side and battled Kickers defender Trevor McEachron in the corner of the box.  He turned and played the ball back to Leskow at the top of the 18, who slipped the ball through to Pascale, diving to make the save just in time.

The Kickers looked for more in the 58th minute when Bulow took control at midfield and eluded Manahan as he came out to challenge.  Bulow chipped the ball over the goalkeeper at the top of the box, looking for the open net but a Gunners defender cleared it from the post.

Looking to avoid the shutout, Gunners midfielder Cameron Petty rattled the woodwork in the 62nd minute, launching a shot from just outside the box.  His attempt rebounded from the near post but a lucky bounce allowed Pascale to nab it from mid-air. 

As the game neared completion, the Gunners sent a last minute attempt into the box, crossing the back and forth across the goal mouth.  The final cross found midfielder David Sanford in dangerous territory but he placed his shot high over the crossbar. The Kickers retaliated seconds later when Adrian Bumbut eluded defenders and fired a missile on target, but Manahan got a hand on the ball and redirected it over the endline.  

The Kickers return to regular season action this Saturday, June 14th when they host the Bermuda Hogges at 7:00 pm at the University of Richmond Stadium.  The first 100 activated Pro Pass holders through the gate will receive a free t-shirt courtesy of Eurosport.  Activate your Pro Pass via

Box Score           First Half         Second Half         Final
Richmond                  3                          0                       3
Fredericksburg         0                          0                        0

Scoring Summary
11th minute: Richmond – Eliot Paschalis (David Bulow)
20th minute: Richmond – Stanley Nyazamba
24th minute: Richmond – David Bulow (Penalty)

 Kickers: GK Ronnie Pascale, Kelvin Jones (Pat Viray – 88’), Trevor McEachron, Evan Harding, Anthony Catalano, Sascha Görres (Adrian Bumbut – 61’), Luke Vercollone, Eliot Paschalis, Ian Bennett (Adam Chavez – 71’), David Bulow, Stanley Nyazamba (Mike Burke – 83’)
 Gunners: GK Ken Manahan, Henry Kalungi, Tennant McVea, Cameron McCarthy (Sean Hinkle – 73’), Jonathan Bownes, Daniel McGarry (Berin Boracic – 45’), Stephen Nsereko, Ryan Johnson (Cameron Petty – 55’), Justin Lescow, Matthew Lacey, Andrew Wheeler (David Sanford – 60’)

Shots                 Saves                   Fouls                Corners
Gunners: 7       Gunners: 3           Gunners: 8     Gunners: 3
Kickers:   8       Kickers:  3             Kickers  3       Kickers:  5

23rd minute: Jonathan Bownes (Fredericksburg)

Referee:    Shaun Papperman
Assistant Referees:   James Conlee, Bill Dittmar
Fourth Official:    Alex Addison
Attendance:    592
Weather:    Hot, humid 100º

© 2008 Richmond Kickers, 2001 Maywill Street, Suite 203, Richmond, VA 23230
Phone: 804 644-5425   Fax: 804-591-2680

   Copyright 2008 Richmond Kickers. All rights reserved.
    Copyright 2008 Demosphere International, Inc. All rights reserved.